I was given a cat shaped jelly mould a few years ago but never used it. Then yesterday I decided to make an orange jelly for fun. I could have added fruit or trifle sponges to strengthen it but I wanted it to be pure jelly, and I was going to call it ginger and maybe take a few photos in different places before we have it for tea.
I tried mixing the jelly powder but I didn’t realise it hadn’t all dissolved until I cleaned the bowl I’d made it in, would that weaken the jelly? Then I couldn’t lie it down level because it’s head is higher so I had to prop it up in a bowl to put in the fridge. I let it set overnight. But how to get it loose? I tried running a thin knife round the edge, then turned it up on a plate, wobble, no! Tried running the mould under the hot tap, no! Tried tapping the mould, whoosh, a few bits dropped out, tried a knife again and tapping.. It finally came out, a saggy, wibbly wobbly brother cat to the solid mould.
I give you (please take some).
Home made banana cake with toffees melted on the top.
Half self raising flour, half plain flour, about 8oz with a bit of yeast. (what I had in the cupboard).
Some granulated sweetener, about a tablespoon full.
4 oz approx of butter
A small mug of milk.
A bit of orange juice.
Two sliced bananas.
Toffees melted on top for the last twenty minutes.
I added the flours together with the yeast, added the sweetener, then added the butter and broke it up until it was crumbly. Then I added the eggs, mixed in milk. It was still a bit dry so I added a bit of orange juice, till it was quite soft. A bit like wet mashed potatoes.
I then chopped the bananas up and mixed them in. I left it for a while to see if it rose (it didn’t!)
Cooked gas mark four for an hour and ten minutes. About forty minutes in I noticed it was rising but split in the top. So I got some toffees we had at Christmas and placed them on top. The mess is where they melted.
Not pretty but tastes OK. Served the first bit with some ice cream while it was hot. Not bad!