Old owls

A painting from five years ago. I do like painting birds, particularly owls. I made a few in pottery class at school, I just like the circles of feathers round their faces that help direct sound to their ears (I might be wrong?) and do they have one ear higher than the other for the same reason. I need to find out.

Bleach!

Two photos, bleached and then painted over.

When you are an artist and your hubby decides to try and clean his trousers (with neat bleach!) No! The brown corduroy turned orange in patches. I have no brown dye, I wouldn’t know how to use it?! What to do? I bunged them in the washing machine to get any residual bleach out. Then while they were still wet I mixed up some brown and black acrylic paint. I have painted it on to see if it covered the bleached areas. It’s still a bit orange so I will give it another layer when it’s dry. I don’t want the cloth to become too stiff. At least it means they aren’t being thrown away and the paint should be colour fast!

Varnish!

Argh! I started putting eyelets on the back of my paintings and the paint started to flake off! I don’t know why, but I think because it’s a different type of canvas. So I repainted the patches where it came off. Then I had the ‘brilliant’ idea to varnish it.

First get the top off the varnish bottle. It’s one of those push down and twist types. That took half an hour. Then paint it on. But one of my hairs fell on it! I tried to lift off the hair and the paint flaked again. So, a few more dabs of paint mixed in with the varnish. It was due in today. It might not get there! And I’m left with gummy hands.

Horses from splodges

Horses are wonderful animals. They have such amazing characters. When I tried to find something in the matching splodges to the previous post I almost immediately found the large horse head. Then the other two emerged from the patterns. I just needed to add some white, green and yellow to differentiate between them.

Experiment

Small canvas, about two inches by three. It’s meant to be a window with a rusty frame. Frosty window panes. I’m going to add branches and maybe a bird like a Jay. The texture has been done with a pallette knife. I don’t usually use these but I was given a set at Christmas. I’m waiting for it to dry so I can add more to it.

Dragon stone

I painted a stone with a dragon design, then I edited it in photodirector. The paint is in little bottles with a nozzle and you use it to add dots and lines onto a surface. I’m a bit unsteady with my hand and arm so it’s more wobbly than I would like. Once it’s dry I might take another photo. As the colours dry they seem to shrink because they seem to have glue in the paints. Especially the ones with added glitter.

Tonights sky landscape artist

Subject, the millennium bridge in Gateshead.

Tonights landscape artist of the year was from Gateshead in the North East of England. The subject was the Millennium bridge. Nicknamed the winking bridge as the structure tips so the curved support moves downwards while the bridge part lifts upwards.

Instead of looking for an image on my phone I watched the programme and glimpsed various views of the bridge so it’s quite sketchy and I used up the green grey acrylic paint that I’d been using as a base coat for a painting.