Spoon on a chair throw. My version of shiny… My drawing for today’s #bandofsketchers prompt.
Drawn with felt pens and permanent marker pens. Why a spoon? It was an opportunity to draw the bowl of the spoon and the way the reflections curve round it. The handle is a bit wonky, but not bad. Reasonably happy with it.
Sometimes hatching won’t do, so I use dots to shade things. It still creates a slightly darker tone than white. It fools the eye into thinking there is grey there (a bit like half tone in newspapers). I love the 1960’s pop art paintings where they used half tone dots to emphasise the graphic design style of them. Black felt pen on cartridge paper.
Today’s prompt for band of sketchers was the colour orange. I gathered a group of things together and used permanent markers to draw it in. I tried to colour the areas without drawing it out first.
Orange is a peculiar colour, some people identify reds as orange, and orange as yellow. Everyone has different eyesight and abilities to differentiate colours. I imagine someone with colour-blindness would just see muddy browns?
More work in progress photos. I’m struggling to get the clouds right. I need to try and get the detail and shading correct. Also when it’s finished the paintwork on the frames will be all crackled and flakey.
Looking closer, the greys are dark but not too dark, I may also bring a tiny bit of brown in and thin it down for the wood in the windows. Mostly it’s blending and shading to get a realistic effect.
I’m trying to do at least one drawing a day, this is actually the second picture I did but I’m posting it because it’s slightly different. Firstly I used a blue glitter brush pen to draw one of my cats. Then for slight shading I used a plain yellow brush pen. When it was dry I decided to use a 0.6 tip fine line black pen to draw in darker areas. I then drew lines over the darker areas and decided to do the lighter ones too. Finally after adding the lines in the background I drew a line round the edges of the blue and yellow areas and picked out any patches of white that had been missed with the blue ink at the start of the process. I didn’t take any work in progress photos. The drawing is in a Windsor and Newton sketch pad, heavy weight wire-o, A6 size. 50 sheets 170gsm /80lb.
Spent a productive 3 hours today on this…. Very complicated. The 1st canvas needs to be completed by Friday. I’m getting a bit tired so I think I will leave it till tomorrow…..
Trying to get the details is the problem. The image I’m working from is a bit pixelated. I’m bothered about getting the smoothness and roundness of Jupiter and also the blending between the different areas…. Oh well I’ll keep working