I decided to do a bonus small painting to go with my bigger close up of a poppy. It’s called red poppy. It’s hard to come up with an original title. Lots of red used in these but I’ve tried to vary them and give that wrinkled feeling that poppies have.
Hard work, but I think it was worth it. I think some of my paintings are like knitting or embroidery, pulling all the threads together to bring it to a finished piece. And sometimes it’s knowing where to stop, to feel satisfied. Sometimes my hubby says I overwork things, but I think I know where I am with this. I decided not to add any bees or butterflies, I think that would just distract.
I’ve wanted to alter this painting for a long time. I had a grey blurred background before but it just merged in to much with the Barn Owl. Now it stands out against the night sky. I also added many tiny stars. I could have flicked splashes of paint but I wanted more control over where they went.
On the easle, I used a bit of gold paint in the background to give it a bit of sparkle. I hope the recipient will be happy with it. It’s acrylic on canvas, about A4 size. I did the background with very thin paint to start with and lots of water so the paint spread out and looks blotchy. Like a rough stone surface with bits of weed floating with it. I also tried to get the shadow underneath it to make the body stand up away from the ocean bottom.
Just did a few more adjustments. Painting on the texture of canvas is difficult when you try and brush paint on it. I half feel like I ought to paint a thick layer first so I could paint on a rough surface. But it’s not bad. I could see where I need to make changes, it’s sometimes difficult to force the paint into the nooks and crannies of the canvas. Phew.
I enjoyed doing this trying to make it ‘iconic’ got a robin painting to finish off. That should be finished tonight. Still more to do though. They will all need mirror plating. These are flat plates screwed onto the back of the paintings so they can be attached to the wall. I will also paint round the edges of each painting to make them look nice. This is called ‘gallery wrapping’. I do it because I can’t afford to frame all my paintings. It also means anyone buying a painting can choose what they want.
I’ve finally finished the Hare painting. I’ve added the Harebells. I’m not sure about the background. I may play with it tomorrow, but enough for one day’s work. I’m also not sure about the proportions of its head…. I’m too tired to think.